My sea journey

Friday, June 30, 2006

My longing for the sea



After 28 years of service, I retired from the U.S. Navy in 1988. But, I never left nor lost my love of the sea. Over the years since retirement, my wife and I have taken 16 (commercial) cruises and while I enjoyed these cruises, I never had the feeling of being back at sea.

What to do . . . . . . A few years ago, I came across some literature regarding freighter travel and did some research on the web. My conclusion was that this might better assuage my longing to return to sea.

Early this year (2006) I made contact with Maris Freighter Cruises in Westport, Connecticut and arranged for passage on CMA CGM Arno. CMA CGM is, I believe, the 3rd largest shipping company in the World after Maersk and Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC). The Arno is a 28 year old containership that is still in relatively good shape. Her route is called the Amerigo Express. This route takes approximately 5 weeks to complete and starting in Lisbon, Portugal it traverses across the Atlantic to New York City, then on to Norfolk, Virginia, Savannah, Georgia, Miami, Florida. Crossing back across the Atlantic into the Mediterranean Sea it continues on to Marsaxlokk, Malta, Livorno and Genoa, Italy, Fos sur Mer, France (port for Marseilles), Valencia, Spain then back to Lisbon. I would board the ship in the port of Miami and had originally intended to ride the ship back to Miami, but for reasons I will discuss later, left the ship in Norfolk.

Much forethought and planning took place before I was able to start my adventure. I did a lot of research, made a few contacts with others who had travelled this way, and by the time my trip came about, I pretty much thought that I was well prepared.

The one thing that was stressed over and over and over again by all concerned was that FLEXIBILITY was the key to a successful freighter journey. I am a pretty easy going fellow and this would be an easy trait for me on this voyage, thank God. Another thing that was stressed with regularity was that if one could not occupy ones time, a freighter voyage was not a good idea. Again, no problem for me.

When I first started researching this trip, I quickly came to the realization that I would have to lose weight and exercise before leaving on the voyage. My weight was at its' zenith (220 lbs). I am comfortable at 185, but should ideally be at 165. I had tried every diet imaginable in the past, but found out about Nutrisystem and decided to try this. I also found a great on-line support group. With exercise and a complete change in my dietary habits, by the time I left on the trip I had lost 30 pounds and was in reasonable good shape.

I maintained a journal for most of the voyage and it is from that journal that I will create this blog. Hopefully any who read it will enjoy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved reading your experiences - helpful for me as I am researching a novel in which the protagonist takes a very short freighter trip - only a few days - Cairns to Thursday Island (Australia)- your descriptions helped me visualise what a day might be like on a container ship - keep on blogging

Joobminty

4:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, Thank you for sharing your 'Sea Journey' with us. Since I retired from the Navy in 1988, I too have longed to return to the sea. Even though you were very thorough, and descriptive in your writings of Freighter travel; I still find that I have a few questions. I will direct them to you via email. Anyone considering Freighter travel should read your journal. It would prepare the traveler, and make the trip more enjoyable. Take away some of the possible frustrations.
Enjoy your next trip...
Your Shipmate, 'Stamps'/Jim

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home